Your personal computer (PC) is a valuable resource because it helps you accomplish your work, search for information online, and keep in touch with people. But nothing can be more annoying and alarming than your computer starting to act up. Even if you have a stable Internet connection, your device may take time to switch on, hang from time to time, and worse, end up freezing.
There are many reasons your computer isn’t working properly. However, on top of this is that it might be infected with a virus. This typically happens when you download infected files, such as pirated photos, music, or movies, as well as free games and toolbars. Visiting malicious sites, clicking links, and viewing suspicious ads may also be the culprits. Even connecting to an infected external drive can transfer the virus to your computer.
In this article, we will share how to determine if your PC is infected and learn how to protect it from a virus:
How to know if your PC has a virus
Now, let’s first take a look at some of the computer issues you may encounter that indicate it is infected with a virus. Take note of the following:
- Your PC takes time to start up or open programs and apps.
- You encounter some issues with shutting down or restarting.
- You notice some missing files even if you haven’t deleted them.
- You regularly encounter some error messages and system crashes.
- You have some unexpected pop-up windows.
- You notice new applications even if you haven’t downloaded them.
- You start hearing irregular sounds coming from your overworked hard drive.
- Your browser starts to lag or redirect to somewhere else.
- You have malfunctioning antivirus programs or firewalls.
If you start to encounter one or some of the computer issues mentioned above, it’s best to have your PC inspected and fixed to have it running optimally again. Here at Finchum Fixes It, we have a team of highly skilled IT specialists with about 20 years of experience in technology. We are dedicated and committed to providing computer repairs, such as virus removal, data recovery, as well as PC repair and upgrade.
How to protect your PC from a virus
As it is often said, prevention is better than cure, and this principle also applies to your personal computer. The good news is that there are some practical ways to protect your PC from a potential virus attack. Below are some of these:
- Use antivirus protection and antispyware software, and be sure they are always up-to-date.
- Never click suspicious links or pop-ups when surfing the internet.
- Avoid opening questionable emails or attachments unless you know and trust the sender.
- Be highly cautious when downloading apps and software, and only download these from legitimate sources.
- Be wary of connecting to public Wi-Fi in cafes, restaurants, or stores. If you have to, you can use a VPN or a personal hotspot to connect to the web.
- Be sure to educate yourself about all types of computer threats and cyberattacks.
At this point, you now know how to spot if your PC has a virus, so be sure to consider all the valuable information outlined above. If your computer starts acting up, have it checked by a highly reliable computer service provider. Most importantly, follow our practical steps on how to protect your computer from a virus to keep your PC in top shape and working order!
Does your virus-infected PC need computer repair in Greenwood, Indianapolis? You’ve come to the right place! We’re your one-stop-shop providing superior digital marketing and IT support services to our clients. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help!